cute tiger cub

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Giver, Lois Lowry!



In class we started Lit Cirlces again! Everyone complained but we had to do it because school isn't exactly democratic. I have to read a book called 'The Giver' by Lois Lowry. It is a very interesting book about a boy called Jonas. He lives in a community that is very much like an Utopian community. In an Utopian community it is safe, orderly and predictable. Just like Jonas' community. Everything is decided for you. Like which family unit you are going to be in. You are never gemetically related to your family. Your parents don't get to chose your name the committee does it for them. You get your job when you are only twelve years old, and you don't even get to chose your own job. There are stict rules that you have to follow or else you will be realesed form the community. That will bring disgrace to your family. But when you think about it a question comes to your head, 'Would you want your future to be decided by other? Why or why not?'
I woldn't want others to chose my future! That would be horrible! I want to do whatever I want to do with MY life. Because it is my life. Like when you nine years old your toy gets taken away from you. But sometimes you play with your toys when you are ten years old or maybe eleven years old. I would always want a choice. Because when something happens I want to tell myself that I made that choice. I would want to tell myself I can chose no one else can chose for me. Because when I do that I feel that I can do things, others don't have to do them for me! It makes me feel more mature!
And then there is the sense of freedom. Everyone wants to be free. It is a happy feeling to be free. You can do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it. I hate it when people chose for me. Of course there are times when they have to chose for me, and there are times when I wish someone will make the choice for me. But you can't build charactor when people always chose for you. Sometimes you like math but you want to be nurturer. But the comittee tells you to a be mathmatician. Then you have to be a mathmatician for the rest of life. How horrible would that be! You want to be a nurturer but you have to do something comepletely different! You will spend the rest of your life in misery. That is why I want to make my own choices! It is not easy but sometimes the hard things are the best!








Images taken from:


http://www.wheelers.co.nz/resource/product/small/978000/9780007263516.jpg





1 comment:

  1. Hey Pratiti! Good explanation for why you thought that your future shouldn't be decided by other! There were quite a few reasons but some of them were not very strong so if I were to I could have had a whole argument against it… But it's not that I want my future to be decided by others but your reasons were just not that powerful. You had a couple grammatical errors and you repeated some of the words a lot. I would recommend that next time you should reread and edit your posts before publishing them! Over all, Good Job!

    BE HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete