cute tiger cub

Friday, March 11, 2011

The Reciever of Memories



Was there ever a time when you just coudn't chose between something! Like taking money you found on the floor or giving it to a trusted adult? Or when you really want to go to the movies but all your friends want to go to the mall? Well when I was reading The Giver and found out that Jonas was picked to be the reciever of memories. He had to go for training and then the giver said "Making choices would be frigtening for people." Why did he say that. I mean making choices is a part of life! It is something I have heard my whole life. I wouldn't want my choices taken away from me (like I said in the previous blog post!)




Well I think he said that because sometimes choices are really hard to make. Its difficult, like when you try to decide over finishing your homework or going to your best friend's birthday party! You have to do your homework but you want to be with your friend on her birthday! Choices are really hard! Sometimes I want a T-shirt and my dad likes something else and I don't want him to feel bad, but I really want the T-shirt but I can't choose! So choices are frightening!! But they make you who you are, so choices are good!

My second reason is that thats why the community is the way it is. You don't have to make choices it is all done for you. Their ancestors must have had a hard time with choices so they decided that they didn't want their children to make them. Because you don't get to make any choices in the Giver! Every single thing is done for you, from when you get your bike to which job you will get and when you will get it! They cant even see in color because then they will have to choose which color to wear. Or which colors to buy!



Images taken from:

http://www.randomhouse.ca/images/dyn/cover/?source=9780553571332&height=300&maxwidth=170
http://www.illustrationsof.com/royalty-free-choices-clipart-illustration-15428.jpg





3 comments:

  1. Well Hi Pratiti! Your blog post is clear to an extent though some of your sentences seemed incomplete (reread the last few sentences of your first paragraph). I could understand what you were taking about but I believe that you could've used stronger ideas and explanations to why they would most probably find it frightening to have to choose because the only thing that you had mentioned was color and if you had reread the section of the book where it talks about choices, you would've found more answers to that particular question. Overall your blog post was well written!

    BE HAPPY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pratiti this is PJ and I have another blog called footie update so I don't know why my comment is like this anyways you r paragraphs had very minimal mistakes and it was in good paragraph format

    ReplyDelete